The 1981 FA Cup Final was the 100th Final. Spurs 3-2 Manchester City (replay).

Over the lockdown period, I’ve been going down memory lane with some of the greatest matches I’ve seen (yes, actually been). This latest article/ blog is my 9th in the series. This match is no ordinary match, this match made Ricky Villa into a legend and will be remembered as long as there is football on this planet (exaggeration? You decide). But I can’t imagine any finer display. I am talking bout our 3-2 win over Manchester City in a replay. It was also the 100th FA Cup final). I hope everybody is staying safe and well? Not long before we resume where we left off.. albeit behind closed doors. Best Regards, Glenn. Thank You

Extracts from the blog:

The first match (Cup Final); it took place on Saturday 9 May 1981 at Wembley and finished 1–1 after extra-time. Right-winger Tommy Hutchinson gave Manchester City lead in the Final at the half-hour mark, and they were cruising towards the title before the same player got his name on the score sheet with an own goal eleven minutes from the final whistle. There were no more goals in extra time as an FA Cup final went to replay for the first time in eleven years. Even though we walked away disappointed, we had a great day out and was looking forward to the replay.

We got to that position by beating QPR, after a draw, Hull City, Coventry, Exeter, and Wolves in the semi-Final. The first game went to a 2-2 draw, the second we thrashed Wolves 3-0.

The League cup wasn’t so good. After beating Leyton Orient twice, Palace after a draw, then beating Arsenal 1-0, we finally lost to the Hammers at Upton Park 1-0.

The day of the  Match (replay)

I remember we, Spurs fans, managed to buy tickets for this match (the replay) well before City fans. Why? Who knows… lucky probably. We also occupied more than half of Wembley for this match. Perhaps because it was midweek and City fans had further to come.

I remember getting up early, having breakfast then to the West End. But first said goodbye to my then-wife Christine, my son Martin (who was a just over a month old) and the two girls. Made my way to the train station and then onto Paddington. From there to the west end, looked around, got something to eat – the time quickly rushed by – then made my way to Wembley. Remember, this was the old Wembley, a Wembley that had class and history behind it, unlike the poor job they erected in its place…

To read more then please click on the link below:

The 1981 FA Cup Final was the 100th Final. Spurs 3-2 Manchester City (replay).